Create an account

LOD Improvements (Distant Level of Detail) - Mostly Pre 1.5  

Upload: 23 May 2023, 15:39
Created by: Seracen [X]
Uploaded by: Aqxaro
LOD Improvements (Distant Level of Detail) - Mostly Pre 1.5

By popular demand, a selection of various LOD settings. Improve details for distant objects & prevent texture pop-in. Performance will vary per your PC and settings. Partially reworked for Patch 1.6, but mainly for pre-1.5 patch users.

LOD settings, per various requests (improves draw distances of various assets in the game).  Please read below to determine which LOD is right for you!  Your CPU + GPU majorly affect how the mod works.

ONLY INSTALL ONE LOD PATCH AT A TIME!!!

• DELETE OLD VERSIONS before install
  • Post 1.6 Patch, many users are reporting minimal change with this mod (I believe the NextGen patch renders this mod superfluous for those cases, still researching...)
  • Old versions remain archived, for those who have yet to update to patch 1.6

Parameters Affected:

• Background Distance
  • Regular Distance
  • Cinematic
  • Vehicle
  • Cinematic Vehicle

Background and Regular distance seem to work well for your average environmental stuff.

Cinematic
 is what you want when characters have vanishing bodies/clothes at distance (such as with my alternate clothes mods)

• Cinematic 5x = Reduces invisible textures. Will still see pop-in/fadeout at VERY far distance.
  • Cinematic 10x = Reduces invisible textures. Clothes and body pop-in/fadeout negligible.

Vehicle vs Cinematic Vehicle, from my understanding, governs the cars at distance (2D models) vs up-close (3D models)

• Vehicle 20x is reported to cause problems with car chases!
  • All 5X = raises the draw distance of ALL these parameters by 5 times the normal game settings.
  • All 10X = raises the draw distance of ALL these parameters by 10 times the normal game settings.
  • Other versions mix and match some of the parameters, but most users will want "All 5x" or "All 10X"

USAGE NOTES:  Based on my play testing, but please feel free to share with any additional testing, information, or clarification.

• Most likely INCOMPATIBLE with any other files that affect draw distances and LOD.
  • One exception is Judy Modding Essentials - Fixes by Janecio14, which only affects Judy's clothes models, so it should work alongside this.
  • I personally get little benefit from Draw Distance Boost, and it does the job in a different manner.  But it should run alongside this mod.
  • Just be wary of setting variables too high.  For Draw Distance, the limit seems to be 50x.  For LOD, I didn't notice benefits beyond 10x.
  • Improved Vegetation LODs modifies one of the same files, but also improves the actual texture files of the plants.  I personally don't use the LOD file from that mod (& it might not work for some), but the vegetation textures are worth trying out!  If you want to use both, just give this mod priority.

• Personally, I prefer "All 5X" LOD (or All 5x + 10x Cinematic).
  • "All 10X" works quite well on recent graphics cards, but I found sporadic abnormalities with physics on far away objects.
  • Cars and people crashed more, died more, and resulted in random accidents or combat not involving V.  Funny, but annoying.
  • Granted, this could have been an engine issue, and the findings were subjective, but I had less random nonsense with "All 5X" 

REQUESTS:

• Due to the nature of my schedule, I don't really accept commissions, as I can't guarantee a reliable turnaround.
  • But I appreciate constructive feedback on my mod pages. I hope you enjoy my work!
  • And while I never expect it, tips either through Nexus or via Ko-fi are always humbling and greatly appreciated! 
Comments
The minimum comment length is 10 characters.